Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Disappointing End to a Disappointing Season

On Saturday, I attended my final home football game as a student (in the pressbox thanks to Scott and Peggy Ksander!), and was dismayed when Purdue lost to IU in overtime. I could deal with the loss itself. Purdue's all-time record against IU in football is 70-37-6 (62% winning), and the record is 56-27-3 (65% winning) since the Old Oaken Bucket was introduced in 1925, so IU has to get its wins in sometime. It was the lack of class that IU brought to MY stadium that really made me mad.

I can't find any footage or photos or any additional information about it, but at one point, our quarterback Rob Henry was tackled after making a pass. I looked back down to find the defender mercilessly beating Henry for absolutely no reason. Needless to say, the player was ejected (for the life of me, I can't remember his name).

Then, once overtime was complete, IU charged to OUR sideline and took the bucket from its case rather than waiting for the official presentation. This was quite possibly the most classless act in college football I have ever seen.

Sure, IU may have all the parties, hot girls, and a prettier campus, but I'll take my class, cradle of astronauts, cradle of quarterbacks, and enjoy finding a job after graduation with a degree that is fifth-most recruited in the nation. (That's a general Purdue degree. A Purdue aero degree fluctuates between being first and second-most recruited.)

1 comment:

  1. IU celebrated as if they just won the Rose Bowl, and their coach still got fired. I agree, it was completely classless.

    ReplyDelete