Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Defying Convention

(This post was originally posted on boilercamp.us on 4/9/10)


Something I've been noticing a lot these days is that a lot of the newer metal bands can't be categorized. In some music circles, it's a big deal to try and categorize bands - death metal, thrash metal, progressive metal, metalcore, grindcore, screamcore, mathcore, et cetera et cetera. I wind up using most of these words to describe most of these newer bands.

One such band that defies convention is one that I saw in April, iwrestledabearonce. Certainly, the first word that comes to me is experimental. Followed by screamcore. But they definitely have some thrash to them. A little grindcore, too. In fact, the more I listen to them, the MORE influences I hear.

I think it's come to the point where the only way to categorize a metal band is simply by its name.
Then another question comes up, what categorizes a band as metal? That is a great question, and is the topic of a future blog. (You like that teaser? :-P)

No comments:

Post a Comment